My Goals

To share eco tips &
To discuss changes we can make.


Monday, March 24, 2008

Paperless Billing & On-line payments

Paperless billing, for those who don't know, allows you to receive an email letting you know when your bill needs to be paid instead of sending a paper statement through the mail. Everything that they would send in the mail can be viewed on their web site so you can still see a break down of your purchases, etc. Thus doing away with all of the paper waste.

Once you receive the e-statement, you log onto the biller's web site and you can pay your bill right on-line, eliminating the need for stamps and envelopes. With most places now, this is a free service. I think I have one bill now that charges a $4 fee to pay on-line. I have not written that particular place yet but I have written Circuit City because I didn't see a way to do paperless billing on their web site. While I thought I must be missing it, because surely they do it, I was amazed to receive this response:

We are sorry we do not offer the option of receiving online statements at this
time. We do apologize for the inconvenience.

As a result, I paid my remaining balance and will not be using them anymore. I would hope you would do the same. We have to show these companies that we are serious about becoming more environmentally conscious because they won't pay attention until we do.

UPDATE: After I wrote Circuit City, explaining why I would not be using them anymore, they wrote back saying that
This option is coming in the near future.

No comments: