My Goals

To share eco tips &
To discuss changes we can make.


Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Eco chic by Matilda Lee

I've read a few times now about Matilda Lee´s book, Eco chic - the savvy shopper´s guide to ethical fashion. I haven't read the book myself, but according to Outsapop, one of the things the book talks about is how a very small percentage of clothing donated to thrift stores is actually sold. Apparently, of the things donated,

less than 8% of all donated clothes actually ended up being resold in charity shops

7% are not even worth being recycled or further donated, so they end up in landfills. And this is just the clothes people bother to donate to charity.

If things continue the way they have for the last ten years, the business of recycling clothes will eventually go OUT OF BUSINESS.
That's a huge deal! I'm afraid I've seen this happen with people I know. Rather than donate items, I'll hear that they've just thrown them away. Oh, that kills me when that happens. There are so many things that can be done with old clothes, even if they're not still wearable.

Of course, with all the great ways to alter clothes now, there's almost nothing you can't wear in some way or another. If you're not into that, then make a quilt, use scraps for crafting, make a stuffed animal for the kids.

My sister made me this quilt from scraps of my father's old striped shirt. My father had passed so this was a very special gift.


There's just no excuse for throwing these things away. Even if you aren't crafty, everyone knows someone who is.

No comments: