My Goals

To share eco tips &
To discuss changes we can make.


Friday, March 28, 2008

If it's Yellow...

When I was a kid I had an aunt who had a sign "If it's yellow, let it mellow. If it's brown, flush it down." hanging in her bathroom. I didn't understand the sign at the time. I was very young. When I did understand the sign, I thought it was gross. Truth be told, I still think it's gross.

However, in Elizabeth Roger's and Thomas M. Kostigen's The Green Book, it's stated that one flush equals about "4.5 gallons of water" and that it is equivalent to the amount of water "the average person in Africa uses for a whole day of drinking, cooking, bathing and cleaning". That's astonishing to me.

So, I'm doing it. It's gross, I know. But I hate feeling like America takes so much for granted without a care in the world or about the world. We just got to get over the gross-out factor and realize that the world is worth it. Even if you only do it at night, when the baby's sleeping or when you're home alone with no one there to judge you, make an effort.

Related Articles: Toilet Paper

1 comment:

Erik said...

Enjoying your blog. There should be more green blogs. Thanks for your work.