My Goals

To share eco tips &
To discuss changes we can make.


Saturday, August 16, 2008

Great ideas from Ready Made Mag

I've recently been given some ReadyMade magazines and I got some great ideas on finding other uses for old materials. For instance, here is an article on making a magazine rack out of an umbrella.

Use old pillow cases as garment bags

I have hardwood floors and they collect dust bunnies like nothing else. Try covering your broom with old panty hose to capture the dust bunnies. Then remove them and finish sweeping the rest. Don't throw the hose out, just shake em clean outside and use them again next time.

Cut the arms off old shirts and fill them with uncooked beans or whatever and use them to keep out drafts under doors. You could really get creative with these. I think I'll make some quilted ones out of pieces of fabric I hold on to for just such a thing.

Here's an idea on how to use cardboard tubes to make a scarf holder. Here's one on how to make a wine bottle rack.

What about a light made out of detergent bottles? It can be done, see here.

They have a lot of cool ideas on everything from speaker coffee tables and CD curtains to trash can chairs and cabinet doors made out of fan bases. You have to check it out. There's too much for me to list.

Don't worry, I'll be passing on the magazines so they won't be found in the landfill. The site really is much handier anyway.

2 comments:

kiwimeg said...

I am in recycling heaven!! Thanks so much for posting this and introducing me to ReadyMade!!

Kimberly said...

Oh wow - there are some great tips I would have never thought of here. Thank you so much for sharing!

Cheers, Kimberly