My Goals

To share eco tips &
To discuss changes we can make.


Monday, February 23, 2009

Recycling Oddities: pt 1

After posting about paint disposal, it got me wondering more about hazardous materials and specifically, aerosol cans. I am still not crystal clear on the proper way to dispose of them, though I did come across a great article on ABC news' site that said:
These can usually be recycled with other cans, as long as you pull off the plastic cap and empty the canister completely.

Now, again, I'm not positive that's the proper disposal, but it's the best I found. On top of that, the article gives all kinds of great information about recycling the hard stuff, like backpacks, for instance. Apparently,


The American Birding Association accepts donated backpacks, which its scientists use while tracking neotropical birds.

Wondering what to do with old Crocs?

The manufacturer recycles used Crocs into new shoes and donates them to underprivileged families. Mail them to: Crocs Recycling West, 3375 Enterprise Ave., Bloomington CA 92316.


If you don't feel like melting down your kids crayon pieces, you can send them to Crazy Crayons

Ikea and the Home Depot operate CFL recycling programs, which I didn't know.

RecycleMyOldFridge.com and the Building Materials Reuse Association (ubma.org) are places to start if you're looking to recycle the big stuff.

Go to Carpet Recovery to learn more about what to do with old carpet.

These are just a few things I came across but I'm going to posting a lot more.

No comments: