My Goals

To share eco tips &
To discuss changes we can make.


Sunday, March 2, 2008

More on plastic

According to The Green Book, we should avoid plastics containing PVC (like in some raincoats, backpacks, and folders) because it can be harmful to the immune system and very hard to recycle. Recycling aside, if these plastics can be harmful to our immune system, it’s especially important then to pay attention to the fact that it is being put in children’s items.

The Green Book also says that you can buy your children’s plastic rulers out of “70% postconsumer recycled plastic”. I mention it because it seems like one of those things you might not even think about, but that we need to become aware of.

Now, as for plastic bags, I have made the jump to cloth bags that you reuse when you go to the grocery store. I also have a cloth bag that I use when I go to the library. I bought these bags at Wal-Mart for $1 a piece. I know that on Oprah’s “green” show, she was selling bags for close to $10 and saying that it was just the cost to make and ship. I have a huge problem with that because I make things that I sell and ship and can tell you a bag does not cost $10. However, I know that Oprah does have some good tips on her site for going green (see my links).

That aside, any plastic bags I do end up with, I recycle at Wal-Mart. They have a huge bin right out in front, very easy thing to do. It’s something everyone could and should be doing for sure.

No comments: