My Goals

To share eco tips &
To discuss changes we can make.


Thursday, August 6, 2009

Solar Powered Trash Cans?

I don't know about you but this just sounds odd. Why does a trash can need power? Well, turns out that Big Belly Solar has created containers that use the sun’s energy to "automatically compact trash at the point of disposal". Again, I was wondering "Why do this?".

Their answer to that:
Using trashcans that have to be emptied less often is another innovating way of saving gas in our vehicles.
You can find more info here. I thought I should add a couple answers to some obvious question:

The trashcans are bolted to the ground and weigh 300 pounds. They open like a mailbox, preventing animals and people from getting at the trash. Big Bellys send out a wireless notice when it’s time to empty the trash. They also seal themselves once they’re completely full, so no one can stuff more trash into them.
Personally, I find these things fascinating and it makes me glad there are so many people working on these things because if it were left up to me, I would have never thought of this.

Thanks to my husband for this find.

No comments: